ThunderCat Technology is a Service-Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) delivering technology services and solutions to government organizations, educational institutions, and commercial companies. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, ThunderCat Technology employs about 125 personnel and primarily provides support in systems integration, IT solutions and services, data storage, networking, applications, cybersecurity, and big data.
ThunderCat Technology’s Primary Federal Customers and Contracts
ThunderCat Technology’s top federal customers by spending value are the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), and National Institutes of Health (NIH).
A sample of ThunderCat Technology’s top federal contracts include the following:
- U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), Technology Acquisition Center (TAC), Talent Management System (TMS 2.0) Contract – In May 2022, ThunderCat Technology was awarded a four-year, $65 million ceiling value task order under the NASA Solutions for Enterprise-Wide Procurement (SEWP) IDIQ to provide Talent Management System (TMS 2.0) sustainment services for the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). Under this contract, ThunderCat Technology provides sustainment services which include continuous TMS 2.0 access for licensed users and administrators, application hosting, technical and support services, content hosting and related support for online courses (iContent), project management and shall ensure continuous support and maintenance for all VA customizations and extensions, integrations, reports, and configurations that support VA’s requirements. This is follow-on work, as the VA awarded ThunderCat Technology a four-year, $34 million ceiling value contract for the same TMS 2.0 sustainment services in September 2018.
- U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Broadcom Software Maintenance – In May 2022, ThunderCat Technology was awarded a five-year, $68 million ceiling value task order under the NASA SEWP IDIQ to provide Broadcom software maintenance services for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). These services are helping to achieve Zero Trust, prepare for cloud-based operations, secure FBI networks and increase operational efficiency.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Office of Information and Technology (OIT), Salesforce Software – In June 2022, ThunderCat Technology was awarded a four-year, $53 million ceiling value task order under the NASA SEWP IDIQ to provide Salesforce software licensing services for U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
- U.S Department of Defense (DoD), Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), Internet Operations Management (IOM) Contract – In September 2022, ThunderCat Technology was awarded a five-year, $185 million ceiling value task order under NASA’s Solution for Enterprise-Wide Procurement (NASA SEWP) IDIQ to provide Internet Operations Management (IOM) and specialized support services for the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA). Via a value-added reseller relationship, ThunderCat Technology will distribute Palo Alto Networks IOM offerings to the DoD. Palo Alto Networks Cortex suite of products uses machine learning techniques to enable the U.S. military to automatically identify its known and unknown internet-facing assets, prioritize them for remediation, and deploy playbooks to address critical vulnerabilities.
- U.S. Department of State (DoS), Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM), Enterprise ServiceNow Products – In July 2023, ThunderCat Technology was awarded a five-year, $173 million ceiling value task order under the NASA SEWP IDIQ to provide enterprise ServiceNow products for the U.S. Department of State (DoS). Depending on how this contract progresses, this may change their top customer mix.
Most of ThunderCat Technology’s work centers on value-added reselling, and their capabilities reflect this.
- Integration and Staging Facility – ThunderCat Technology’s Integration and Staging Facility is an ISO controlled, secure facility the company uses to help stage, store, and deliver solutions and services. The facility is used to support software integration, hardware integration, logistics, asset tagging, and secure shipping. This is located in Sterling, Virginia.
- Vendor Partnerships – ThunderCat Technology has an extensive, tiered network of partners that they work with closely to provide value-added reseller solutions and services for government clients. ThunderCat Technology’s Tier One partners include NetApp, Cisco, McAfee, ServiceNow, Veritas, Dell, VMware, Juniper Networks, Palo Alto Networks, Gigamon, Riverbed, Citrix, AWS, Hitachi Vantara, F5, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Zscaler, CrowdStrike, Elastic, Pure Storage, Red Hat, Broadcom, Analyst1, Salesforce, Splunk, SentinelOne, and Mandiant.
The FedSavvy Strategies Takeaway
- The VA has consistently been ThunderCat’s top customer over the past five years, with VA work accounting for nearly half of the company’s prime federal revenue. This is likely because the VA tends to favor SDVOSBs and provides advantages and resources to SDVOSBs and VOSBs through the Vets First Contracting Program.
- ThunderCat’s revenue is further enabled by its SDVOSB designation, as demonstrated through its prime contractor position on several contract vehicles reserved for SDVOSBs and Small Businesses.
- This includes the NASA SEWP GWAC, under which ThunderCat holds a seat on Group B (reserved for SDVOSBs) and Group C (reserved for Small Businesses). ThunderCat has received $2.2 billion in contract sales across more than 3,200 task orders under NASA SEWP Group B.
- ThunderCat Technology primarily serves federal civilian customers but it appears the company is trying to diversify its customer footprint, as demonstrated through their steady increase in DISA work over the last four years.
- ThunderCat Technology’s vendor partnerships play a major role in their service delivery and value for federal customers, with a significant number of their contracts involving the procurement and integration of products from companies within their partner network. These partnerships give ThunderCat easier access to experts and deeper reachback for issue resolution and solving complex challenges.
© FedSavvy Strategies and FedSavvy Strategies blog, 2012-2023. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to FedSavvy Strategies and FedSavvy Strategies blog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.